Tuesday, September 25, 2007

New Beginnings


I began my next book this weekend. I spent many hours yesterday doing some research on the location where I want it to take place. Man I tell you Google Earth is an amazing tool. I spent a good 4 hours researching today as well, until I finally decided on the Spatsizi Plateau Wilderness Park in northern BC.

The area has been described as the Serengeti of Canada, the Spatsizi is the largest roadless preserve in British Columbia, more than 1.6 million acres (650,000 hectares) encompassing the headwaters of the Stikine, to the native Tlingit it is simply known as the Great River. John Muir (1879) called it a Yosemite a hundred miles (160 kilometers) long, counting 300 glaciers along its tortuous course. He described that it's a land where Canada could hide England, and the English would never find it.

This book will be filled with heroic adventure. The hero and heroine will be forced to survive in the back country of the Spatsisi wilderness after a float plane crash. The hero is a business man who never so much as camped out in his own backyard. The heroine is a woman trained in bush craft and survival skills. Their personalities clash, but I am sure they will find love and lust. Don't you?

I have only begun the outline, saved a ton of research on the area and wrote the 1st 1000 words. I will have so much more research to do and I will be grateful for the 1st nations friends I keep, especially my bush craft training expert friend. I am sure he will get a kick out of it.

So that's it for now. 1am and it's bedtime. I am going to try to keep my goals set at 500 words per day, minimum 2500 per week. I am sure it will fluctuate as I will have so much research to do, but I will have fun I am sure.

No comments: